Redmond High School Playwritting Alums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emily (draft 8)

2 posters

Go down

Emily (draft 8) Empty Emily (draft 8)

Post  Topher White Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:17 pm

This is the same one as the current daft on Haiku. I feel that I'm really close to finishing it and i just have a little more refining to do before I actually put this to rest, espcially with the ending.

Emily
A play in one act
By Topher White
The Characters:
Jenna: At the top of the show, Female, looks 25ish, a psychiatrist in the asylum, generally disregards her patients thoughts, have an agenda
Anna: At the top of the show, female, 30, has been dealing with Emily for 3 months, despises Emily, but is submissive towards her.
Emily: At the top of the show, female, looks 30, is a spirit that has possessed Anna, is a dominant person and rather psychotic.
Dr. Foxsen: At the top of the show, male, 45, is the financial supporter of Jenna’s project.

Scene 1:
Starts in darkness with Jenna talking

Jenna:
About to start the third test of the day. Subject Anna, interview 6.

Lights come up as Jenna walks through a door near stage left into what looks to be a very disorganized and unsanitary office. Jenna walks over to a chair, putting a cassette player into her bag. She sits down across from Anna, who is also in a chair

Anna:
You think so less of me to put me here?

Jenna:
Well, considering the issues and delusions you have, you do deserve to be here. Now, these are the accommodations that this asylum can provide, sorry if it isn’t to your… liking.

Anna:
I don’t have issues, or delusions. Her name is Emily, Emily for god sakes. She’s my other side, she’s been doing all of this.

Jenna:
Then why do you remember what she’s done? In my years and years of experience, I haven’t seen someone with what you are claiming to have, that also knows what the other side has done.

Anna:
How the hell am I supposed to know how, or why, she does this to me? If I had to guess, she wants to torture me. Also, you’re like 30, I don’t have much faith in your years of experience.

Jenna:
Trust me when I say I’m much older than I appear, much, much older. Now, I don’t think Emily has anything to do with this. I think you did this, and you are using this Emily as a way so you don’t blame yourself. So, what is truly wrong with you?

Anna:
There you go again, always asking what’s wrong. There is nothing wrong with me. It’s Emily that has something wrong with her.

Jenna:
Now, now, now, we both know that Emily isn’t real. If only you would listen.

(Anna becomes agitated)

Anna:
If you won’t listen to me, I won’t listen to you. It’s not like you are actually trying to help me.

Jenna:
Of course I’m trying to help you, but you don’t seem to want to get better.

Anna:
I want Emily out, plain and simple. She is there, and she does thing, things you pin on me, and they are horrible things.

Jenna:
Don’t go blaming Emily for these, horrible things, as you put it. She has nothing to do with all of this.

Anna:
Yes she does, she has everything to do with this, and you all think it’s all me, which has gotten me stuck into this god forsaken place.

Jenna reaches into her bag and after some rummaging, pulls out some notes. She goes through them for a couple seconds.

Jenna:
So, say that this Emily is real, which she isn’t, she was the one yelling at your friend about stealing your boyfriend the night before she was murdered.

Anna:
It was her. I imagine it’s too late for me to apologize for her actions, not that she ever would. I’m paying for what she’s done.

Jenna:
No, you are paying for your own actions that you keep blaming on this Emily, this creation of yours.

Anna:
She is no creation of mine, I would never make something so horrendous as Emily. She is there, and you won’t listen. It’s real, deal with it and make it go away

Jenna:
it isn’t real. It’s you who did these hurtful things, it’s you who left behind the body of one.

Jenna rummages through her notes for a quick second

Jenna:
One Terra Mayland. I have to say, it is one rather artistic body to leave behind. I know it was you, so the only real question for me to ask is why. So, why Anna, why?

Anna:
I already hate her, you don’t need to keep asking these questions that make me hate her more.

Jenna:
No, I’m quite liking the results.

Anna:
You’re sick, you know that right. You’re almost as bad as her.

Jenna:
Really, you think so less of me.

Jenna lets out an unnerving giggle

Jenna:
I don’t care about your opinion of me as long as I’m doing what I’m paid to do.

Anna:
Which you aren’t. You are paid to help me, so listen to what I’m saying so you can God Damn help me.

Jenna:
I’m paid to get you to come to terms with your psyche.

Anna:
I have, it’s Emily’s that I have trouble dealing with.

Jenna:
If that is what you think, then I guess I can’t help you, at least when you are in this state of mind. This ends today’s session.

Lights go out as Jenna walks out of the room. Jenna talks while lights are out and the scene is changing.

Jenna:
Looks light we are three for three today. The possessions are holding. I have a feeling that this one is special. I haven’t seen this stark of a control difference in the near 100 years that I’ve been working on this. I also have to say, this is my favorite beast to poke. I just hope I’m not there when she snaps. While I did make a deal with the devil to gain eternal youth, unnatural death will still keep me down. Anna will be moved back to her cell in the other wing of this facility, keep very close tabs on her while she is there.

Scene 2:
Lights come up on Anna stumbling through a door near stage right, into what appears to be a cell like structure. Emily is standing against the wall a couple feet off the ground, in such a way that makes it appear that she is floating. Emily is holding a bloody knife. There is a bed off to one side of the room.

Emily:
So, how did your meeting with the shrink go?

Anna:
She still doesn’t believe me when I say you’re real. She says I did those things, and I am making you up to have something else to blame. I think we both know that statement is complete bullshit. Also, she called the body you left behind was artistic.

Emily:
Really, someone actually appreciated my work.

Anna:
Apparently. I swear, the therapists here are as insane as they claim the patients are.

There is an awkward pause as Anna moves over to the bed.

Emily With a devilish smile:
You could have kept him, you know.

Anna sighs loudly

Anna:
And how could I have done that?

Emily:
You should have just put out for him.

Anna:
I wasn’t ready, and he knew that.

Emily:
Which is why he went looking for other meat. With the amount you two girls were around each other, of course he would look at your best friend that way. You know that I just used the whole stealing the boyfriend thing as an excuse to kill the bitch, would have done it anyways.

Anna:
Yes, you keep reminding me of that fact, though I thought you used the other term for her.

Emily in a taunting baby voice:
You can’t say it, can you?

Anna looks down submissively

Anna:
No, I can’t

Emily gets down from where she is standing. After landing on the ground, Emily walks over and puts her hand into Anna’s hair, playing with it

Emily:
Good girl, at least you know your place.

Emily grips Anna’s hair and pulls it, making Anna look up at her

Emily with a fair bit of malice:
You still should have put out for him.

Anna in weak defiance:
I wasn’t ready

Emily lets go of Anna’s hair. Emily crouches down and grabs Anna’s chin, making Anna look into Emily’s eyes.

Emily:
I have needs too, and mine supersede yours, Bitch.

Anna:
I thought the killing was what got you off.

Emily lightly rakes the blade of the knife across Anna’s face.

Emily:
The killing is fun and all, but you have no idea what pleasures you missed out on. They are pure joy.

Anna:
Yeah, and it would be the only pure thing about you, you sick murderer.

Emily slaps Anna, before grabbing Anna’s chin

Emily:
You shouldn’t speak ill of those who control you, because those who have control can do some nasty fucking things to you. I thought you had learned that after what I did to that bitch of a friend of yours.

Anna:
It’s not like anything would have changed if I had put out, she didn’t either.

Emily:
And how would know that?

Anna:
You popped her cherry with that bloody knife of yours that night you killed her.

Emily:
Ah, yes, I had forgotten about that. I wasn’t paying that much attention to what it was I was breaking just that it was bloody. (Sounding a little far off) she tasted so good, almost as good as you.

Anna:
You are sick, how can you enjoy the taste of blood, it is disgusting.

Emily:
Quite easily, I enjoy the taste. Now, thanks for reminding me, I am a little thirsty.

Emily lunges forward, slamming Anna back into the bed. Emily moves so that she is on top of Anna, one of her legs holding her neck down while the other one is on one of her arms. Emily grabs Anna’s other arm, pulling it up in front of her face. Taking the knife, Emily slices Anna’s hand open and starts to drink. After a couple of seconds of this, it goes to blackout. While the scene is changing, Jenna is talking once again.

Jenna:
Out of the 15 tests I did today, most of them are holding well. All indications point to the strongest connection being that of Anna and Emily is the strongest. It is certainly a sight to watch them.

Scene 3:
Light come up on Jenna and Doctor Foxsen sitting across from each other in a conference rooms.

Foxsen:
It seems that everyone is progressing, but I would like to focus on Anna and Emily for now. What can you tell me of what she’s done?

Jenna:
Well, within seven weeks of us forcing Emily into Anna, she did this?

Jenna pulls a photo out from her bag and slides it across the table. Doctor Foxsen recoils in disgust.

Jenna:
It is beautiful, isn’t it?

Jenna walks around the table and stands behind Foxsen

Jenna While she is pointing to things on the picture:
I mean the artistry. The piece over there, and then the one over there, and it looks like something other than a body which I find rather amazing. It truly is a gruesome piece of art.

Foxsen Somewhat unnerved:
You could say that. It seems the Devil took away your heart.

Jenna:
Morality, I didn’t have all that much of a heart to start with.

Foxsen:
And you figured it was a good idea.

Jenna:
Morality for eternal youth, who wouldn’t take that? I mean, it was just holding me back anyways, I have done so much more since I lost it. Before I would despise myself if I did something like this, but now, I revel in it, and I just don’t care anymore.

Foxsen:
Yeah, and the one thing I will say about it is that at least it has allowed you to do all the research you have into this subject.

Jenna:
Yes, it has, I mean, I’ve gotten some of the greatest goods and evils to sign off on my work, Hitler, Lincoln, Stalin.

Foxsen:
As much as the imagery isn’t that favorable for me, I can see that I am getting some type of result, which is kind of what I asked for.

Jenna:
Yes, yes it is what you asked for, and I hope, by the end of all of this, you feel that you spent your money well.

Goes to blackout as Jenna starts to talk again

Jenna:
Foxsen is almost as clueless about what I’m really doing here as Lincoln was. At least he managed to figure out that I’m making these people into weapons, but that’s all he’s figured out. I’m Going to have another chat with Anna after all of my already scheduled interviews tomorrow. I hope this time Emily decides to come and play, it would be rather interesting.

Scene 4:
Lights come up on the office again. Jenna is sitting in her chair. Anna walks into the room and sits in the chair across from Jenna

Anna:
So, what is it you want from me this time?

Jenna:
I want to talk a little about your life before you created Emily

Anna:
Fine, what do you want to know?

Jenna:
Let’s start with your parents.

Anna:
They were just there, rarely paid attention to me and when they did, it was to tell me to do something. They both were rather imposing, and I really don’t think they cared. I moved out and I haven’t heard a thing from them since.

Jenna:
Was leaving them hard?

Anna:
No, not really. It’s not like I meant anything to them.

Jenna:
So, what about Terra, the friend you killed, how did you meet?

Anna looks angrily at Jenna

Anna:
We met at a convention. We were waiting in line for a panel next to each other. It was like an hour and a half before it would actually start, but it had some big name in it so we made sure to get there extra early.

Emily walks in behind Jenna. Anna notices and starts to stutter a little

Anna stuttering:
We just started talking and I figured out she lived very close by and was home schooled. We had all the same tastes so we became very fast friends, and soon enough, we were best friends.

Emily walks over she is standing right behind Jenna, knife in hand

Jenna:
So, what made you hate this young woman so much?

Anna:
I don’t hate her, I never did. Emily despised her, she was my tether to this world, she was the one that kept me from being completely under Emily’s control.

Emily walks over so she is standing next to Anna. Anna shrinks away from Emily

Jenna:
Emily isn’t real, so, why did you want to kill her.

Emily grabs Anna’s hair. Anna starts repeating what Emily says, but Jenna can only hear Anna

Emily:
I am Emily, I am real

Anna:
I am Emily, I am real

Jenna leans forward in her chair, interested by the statement.

Jenna:
Really then, prove it, prove you are something other than a personality created by Anna to cover up her mistakes.

Emily:
Well, Devil’s Servant, need I say more?

Anna:
Well, Devil’s Servant, need I say more?

Jenna recoils back in shock.

Emily:
I see I caught your attention.

Anna:
I see I caught your attention.

Jenna:
Yes, you have.

Emily:
I know of what you are

Anna:
I know of what you are

Emily:
What you’ve done.

Anna:
What you’ve done.

Emily:
Anna doesn’t

Anna:
Anna doesn’t

Emily:
I share very little with her.

Anna:
I share very little with her.

Emily:
When this is done, even the Devil won’t be able to help you.

Anna:
When this is done, even the Devil won’t be able to help you.

Jenna quickly gets up and runs out of the room. Emily hands the knife to Anna, and Emily grabs Anna’s neck, pushing her out of the room. Goes to blackout, Jenna talks again, sounding very frantic and terrified

Scene 5:
Jenna:
This is bad, very bad. I don’t think Anna knows how bad Emily truly is. I just check the camera’s for the whole facility. Foxsen will be glad this is the day he was working from home. Everyone is dead, all dead. Emily must have taken control while I was in meetings, and it seems this time she didn’t let Anna in to see.

A sound of someone kicking a door plays and continues to play occasionally for the rest of Jenna’s speech.

Jenna:
I’m trapped, and at my end. I have eternal youth, but I am still just a mortal. I’ve been careful about this before and I thought I was this time, but I wasn’t. I know, in my gut, that this is my end. I won’t say I’m sorry for most of my work, because I’m not. I am sorry that I let Emily slip by, ad become her own beast. If I could have controlled this, I could finally give the Devil the other thing I promised him, a world flooded with blood.

Lights come on with Anna kicking the door open to the conference room. Jenna is standing on the other side of the room. Jenna presses stop on the cassette player, and sets it on the table. Anna walks into the room. Emily walks in behind her, no longer touching Ana, but still in control. Anna and Emily are talking at the same time now.

Anna & Emily:
You’re all I need to become real. Blood is life, and I’ve taken a lot of blood, thus a lot of life. Now I just need my creator’s, and then I am my own person, but still with the powers of a ghostly monster. It will be just fabulous.

Jenna:
Well, I guess this is the end. I have done many things, none of which I regretted. At least you will give the Devil what I couldn’t.

Anna & Emily:
Yes, I know all about your little deal with the Devil, what do you think the Devil sent me here to do. He was bored of your failures, so he made you a success, one that would take you out as well, so he can deal with you himself.

Emily waves Anna forward. She jumps onto the table, and grabs Jenna by the neck. Emily walks over and puts the knife into Anna’s free hand. Anna cuts Jenna’s hand open. Anna hands the knife back to Emily before she grabs Jenna’s hand and moves it up to Emily’s mouth. Emily drinks as we go to blackout. Foxsen talks while the lights are out.

Foxsen:
I plead guilty to the creation of Emily. I didn’t know what I was getting into when I financed Jenna’s project about possession. It’s always been a field that I’ve been interested in, and combine that with Jenna’s track record, it felt like a good idea, and maybe even get a final result, a true conclusive statement that possession exists. In the end, I did get that, and more blood on my hands than most wars could produce, way more than I ever wished to have. I’m sorry, this is my fault, in the end. Just know, this is not what I was looking to make, but it is the result that I was given.

End of play.

Topher White
Admin

https://rhspwa.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Emily (draft 8) Empty Quick thing

Post  Hope Walker Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:14 pm

So, just in the first scene, Jenna seems to talk a little juvinile-y, saying "like" a few times and such and I still think that the first scene should be shorter, it's rather repeaty. In Jenna's speech to the recorder, you have a few minor grammar errors. Also, Anna still has some left over song lyrics that are apparent at least to me and make her seem rehearsed. Which could be something you're going for, in that case you could have Anna say stuff about how she's said this a million times.

Scene two, heimen (how ever that's spelled) don't really pop, it's a mucus membrane that partially covers the cervix. Without foreplay, it doesn't get stretched so it bleeds, but, if you're messing around down there with knives, I'm sure things like that would become apparent. Also, it seems like a lot of exposition and I don't understand why they're talking about it and the end of it is confusing, Anna is far to rebellious if Emily is always there and talking to her like that.

On to scene three!
"Foxsen: It seems that everyone is progressing, but I would like to focus on Anna and Emily for now. What can you tell me of what she’s done?
Jenna:Well, within seven weeks of us forcing Emily into Anna, she did this?"
I don't think you meant for the question mark to be there and what Foxen says annoys me. He's all like, your work is good, but, let's focus on these people. Let's talk about them. It might be stronger if you allow Foxen to cordially greet and have Jenna start raving about her "prodigies." It'll definitely add a layer of "What the fuck??" to Jenna's character which feels like what you're going for.

In scene four, I think you could just say "in unison" for the Anna and Emily part, it will make that scene a lot better flowing and it seems like it would be a bit grating the way it is now. Also, unnerdy people will have no idea what you're talking about with the convention thing. It might make it easier to make it a midnight release or a comic book store, though I know you're going for a niche audience so... Disregard that if you want, I guess?

Last scene!
"Jenna:Well, I guess this is the end. I have done many things, none of which I regretted. At least you will give the Devil what I couldn’t." She was really frightened of death like ten seconds ago, I'm so confused.

"Anna & Emily: Yes, I know all about your little deal with the Devil, what do you think the Devil sent me here to do. He was bored of your failures, so he made you a success, one that would take you out as well, so he can deal with you himself." The first sentence needs a question mark, and I didn't like Emily saying this so bluntly. I think you could have a fun time writing a good banter scene between the two.

Also, you talked about Jenna's immortality in the scene with Foxen and then again to the recorder later, and I really don't love either of these methods of exposition, but, you should choose one of these really.
Hope Walker
Hope Walker

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum